Tools we use
These tools are approved for use. Find out how to request access to these tools if you need it.
Design and development tools
- Cloud platform hosting. See additional guidance for using Azure.
- Azure Data Studio
- IDE for querying and managing databases
- Figma and FigJam
- Prototyping, workshop boards, diagrams, and wireframing
- Service for checking the quality of content and readability
- Monitoring and logging for websites and applications
- Microsoft Clarity
User experience tracking and usability monitoring.
You will need to set masking to Balanced or Strict and only implement Clarity script after cookie consent has been given.
- Digital service for user journey mapping and service blueprints
- VS Code
- IDE for code development
Work and task tracking
- Cloud service for documentation alongside Jira
- Cloud service for managing projects and tracking work
- Task and work management
Collaboration and communication
To request access to or licences for these services, use the form pinned to the #digital-tools-support slack channel.
- Jam board included as part of Figma licence.
- Lucidspark and Lucidchart
- Online collaboartion, whitboarding, and diagramming.
- Microsoft 365 Suite
- Full suite of Microsoft products and services
- Messaging and discussion channels
- Tool for capturing questions in online events
- Online calendar
- User research session recoding
- Usability testing service
- Optimal Workshop
- Online card sorting
Tools that cannot be used
These tools have not been approved in the Department for Education and must not be used.
- G Suite
- Google account with docs, drive - no longer available
- Content readability service. Use Hemingway
- Prototyping and graphics. Use Figma
Requests to use these services will not be considered.
Requesting digital tools access
You can request access to tools and enquire about new tools on the Digital Tools Support (internal only)